Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Monday, January 23, 2012

Corn Chowder with Avocado and Lime

corn chowder with avocado and limeI saw a recipe for Corn Chowder with Cilantro, Avocado and Lime on Pinterest.  The recipe was interesting, but I used it more as an inspiration instead of following it.  And I am glad I went with my instincts.  This soup was amazing, rich in flavor accented by the bright lime juice and hot sauce. C despises cilantro and I am not a huge fan, but feel free to add it if you enjoy it. I used a blend of frozen yellow and white corn, but I know this would be even more amazing with fresh corn in the summer.

Corn Chowder with Avocado and Lime

1 tablespoon butter
½ yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon dry masa
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size chunks
4 cups chicken broth
½ teaspoon cumin
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 pound frozen corn or the kernels from 5 ears of fresh corn
Lime wedges, avocado slices and hot sauce for garnish

In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the masa, flour and water. Add the masa mixture, potatoes, chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring heat to medium high, bringing the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn and simmer for 10 minutes more. Stir in the cream and simmer for 2 minutes more. Serve topped with avocado, hot sauce and a squeeze of lime.
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

jessy said...

I made a corn chowder last week and I am just imagining the idea of adding cilantro and lime to it! What a fresh twist!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I love a good corn chowder. What a delicious sounding recipe!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic said...

This recipe souns so good, love the Mexican spin on it w the masa an lime!

Anonymous said...

naturally like your website but you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts.

A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to inform the reality however I'll definitely come again again.

My web page :: holistic skincare creams

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...