Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Monday, August 8, 2011

General Tso's Chicken

General Tso's ChickenI have been meaning to make this recipe forever, ever since I saw it on Cook Like a Champion. This recipe was a comedy of errors for me. I forgot to get green onion at the grocery store, which I thought would be no big deal. Then, I realized as I was about to cook the dish, we had no eggs and about 1/4 cup of white rice. So off to the store I went as soon as C got home. I decided to modify the recipe because I didn't want to dirty 4 pots and I didn't think it was a huge deal. When I served the chicken, C was curious as to why it wasn't crispy fried. Hmmm...I had never had General Tso's chicken before, but I guess I need to actually fry it instead of stir fry it. Nonetheless, I adored this recipe, fried or not. As did Miss F. She even ate a whole piece of broccoli.
General Tso’s Chicken

1 ½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 large egg white
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon Chinese chile-garlic sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves, minced
4 green onions, thinly sliced
Steamed broccoli and white rice, for serving

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, egg white, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and all but 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch. Add chicken and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, chile-garlic sauce, sugar, remaining soy sauce and cornstarch. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the ginger and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken to the pan and sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Whisk the broth mixture, then add it to the pan. Cook about 3 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and glossy. Stir in green onions. Serve immediately with broccoli and rice.
Pin It Now!

7 comments:

Erin said...

I enjoy making chinese dishes at home. They may not be as crispy as in the restaurant but it's still tasty and I bet this was too!

Jessy said...

This looks like something we would love! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Lauren said...

I couldn't find any garlic-chili sauce at the grocery store. I bought a sweet chili sauce instead and plan on adding more garlic to it. Do you think that would work?

katie said...

I think that would sub just fine, especially if you add more garlic.

Anonymous said...

One cheat I use is pre-breaded frozen chicken nuggets crisped on the GForeman grill. They make great Gen Tzo's.

Erica said...

Olivia LOVED this today! Thanks for the recipe!!

Kelsey said...

I made this for Secret Recipe Club! So good! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...